The energy of summer feels like a party! This is the time when our energy is expanding as it should and when socializing and dancing feels best.
Summer is also a time when imbalances associated with heat feel extra irritating. The summer is the season of the heart so symptoms like insomnia, palpitations, red complexion, anxiety, depression/mania increase.
While enjoying the pool or another body of water it is helpful to add in food and drink that can help maintain a balance. You won’t find yourself so exhausted, thirsty or with heat rash at the end of the day!
Summer heat depletes the body of fluids and depletes Yin (our cooling mechanism). This is when you want to indulge in food that is cooling and disperses heat in the body, favor bitter foods, and avoid heavy food that will tax your digestions.
- Scents to cool the heat and balance the heart: neroli, ylang ylang, spearmint, rose, rosemary, and lavender.
- Fruit: Watermelon, apple, lemon, kiwi, orange, pear, pineapple, tangerine, cherries, cantaloupe, peach
- Cooling foods: Cucumber, watercress, Belgian endive hearts, spinach, tomato, salads, yogurt, wheat, barley, fish, cilantro, mint, and dill, bok choy, sprouts, white mushrooms and seaweed.
- Drinks: Lots of water, watermelon juice, green tea (it relieves built up heat, expel toxins like heat rash, calm the mind, and ease irritability).
- Avoid: Hot (temp) and dry foods such as coffee, extra spicy foods, and limit ice cold foods like ice cream. I know that taste and feel good in the moment but they can slow down digestion during the summer this can lead to things like a yeast infection. This is the season of expansion and cold contracts.
- Special tea: Mint and Chrysanthemum together cool the body and skin. Add a little honeysuckle if your face feels extra hot.
- Try to wake up earlier, take a midday nap, and stay up a little later.
Photo of a great summertime movie La Piscine.